Remember all the times that your heart was ripped from your chest?
Disney movies (and others like it) taught us how to love, how to cherish life and how powerful death can be. At a young age, these were very important lessons.
YOU MOTHERFUCKER TOY STORY THREE CAME OUT WHEN I WAS 18 AND I BALWED LIKE A BABY YOUNG AGE MY FOOT
ALRIGHT THATS ENOUGH NOW
i noticed this too. the worst part is that in both scenes, they’re having to argue with their captain to do their job. A+ characterization of kirk right there ugh
How nice that you all are ignoring context. Wonderful.
Uhura is asking this after they’ve been shot at multiple times by Klingons who are clearly bent on killing the lot of them, and have just been cornered by them. Kirk is afraid that they are going to kill her on sight without letting her have the chance to do her job. Before this point, he had every intention of letting her do her job (“Lieutenant, how’s your Klingon?” “It’s rusty, but it’s good.” “Good, you’re coming too.”). He does not want to risk her life on the off-chance that the Klingons will listen. He is doing his duty as captain and attempting to keep everyone safe, as well as being his usual stubborn protective self (which he does for EVERYONE he cares about). He is being very Jim Kirk in this scene.
You are also ignoring the context of the conversation itself.
Uhura: They are ordering us to land. Captain, they’re gonna wanna know why we’re here. And they’re gonna torture us, question us, and they’re gonna kill us.
Kirk: So we come out shooting.
[Uhura rises from her seat and goes over to Kirk]
Uhura: We are outnumbered, outgunned. There’s no way we survive if we attack first. You brought me here because I speak Klingon, then let me speak Klingon.
You are deliberately manipulating us into believing that Kirk is shutting down Uhura’s agency and that she is pleading with him to regain it. This is not true. Jim does not want to risk the life of a valued crew-member and one of his dear friends on the off-chance that the Klingons won’t kill them on sight. This has nothing to do with sexism, and cutting out the context of this scene is a shitty and manipulative thing to do.
As for Carol’s scene, she is not actually addressing Kirk directly, but Bones. This is the scene where Bones’ arm got stuck in that torpedo. Kirk is not even physically there.
Kirk: Dr. Marcus, can you disarm it?Carol: I’m trying. I’m trying.
Bones: Jim, get her the hell out of here!
Carol: No. If you beam me back, he dies! Just let me do it!
[Carol quickly works to deactivate the torpedo]
Kirk is in no way trying to keep Carol from doing her job. She is attempting to save Bones’ life, and Kirk is very willing to let her do it. He is trusting that she will be able to deactivate the rocket. He is placing his best friend’s life into her hands: if that’s not agency, I don’t know what is.
So shut the hell up and stop being deliberately manipulative and trying to force victimization and a lack of agency on two very talented, very capable women who were not belittled or looked down on, and by no means did either occur at the hands of Jim Kirk.
- student: hey government can I have some money to go to university
- uk government: sure here you go. you'll have to pay it back but only when you're earning £21,000+ a year, and if you don't pay it off after 30 years we'll just write it off, don't worry about it man
- scottish government: nah man just go to uni we ain't gonna charge you
- us government: no. you gotta pay it yourself. upfront. your parents have to save up from the moment you're born. good luck, fucker.
- maltese governement: oh my good fucking lord you want to go to university? Here, it's completely free, you'll pay it back with your tax money someday. Actually no wait, we'll pay you 83 euros a month if you decide to go you beautiful creature. Oh god but is that enough? How about I give you a student card with a minimum of 900 euros at the beginning of each year to buy books and clothes and stuff? Is that ok? Ok I love you happy studying *kiss*
and it is the most important line ever spoken in the history of our series
if you don’t reblog this i am judging you
this is the very essence of our fandomit is our originsso reblog now
the moment I sold my soul to supernatural